Saturday, July 23, 2011

More First Bowfin and Gar...

Seems like I am the guy you want to talk to when you want to get your first bowfin or gar! I did have a client out this week after carp, but they just weren't cooperating. Hey, they were acting like carp! They are definitely a very challenging fish.... and I have a great deal going on if you want to learn how to catch them- $200 for a 6 hour Learn to Champlain Carp guided trip. Email me for details.

I still have to write the full story of the Ditch Pickle Classic, but I thought I would share a couple of shots of pike nut Ken Capsey. We didn't find a lot of bass, but we did find a whole lot of gar. Considering that Ken had never caught one before, it was time to check that off the list!
   
Ken with his first of another toothy critter to target!
Ken's second longnose gar! He was lovin' this!

He did find out what happens when you have a very slimy, thrashing fish in your hands....
 Good friend and awesome photographer Kurt Budliger got out with me the other day too. We were hoping for a variety of fish, but the gar and carp weren't too cooperative (neither was the wind!). But of course my old buddy Amia calva came to the rescue... unfortunately Kurt's TFO rod wasn't up to the task. It snapped in half on me when I had one on (after only a few seconds of having the fish on... still landed it though!)
Kurt with a very nice bowfin.... Sorry about the rod...
 Hot and steamy was a good description of the weather when I took out Jesse Haller of the Middlebury Mountaineer the other day. I love it when I can show an experienced guide something new!  Jesse took to bowfun like a duck to water!  Here are a few of the 7 bowfin he landed.
Jesse with his first bowfin and looking pretty pleased about it!

Who has the bigger grin?

Only half an inch away from Master Class.... you should have seen the two other ones we didn't get to take....

The Redington Predator showed itself to be an excellent rod for the pursuit of bowfun!

Even I got into the act....
  Alright, so here is a bit of a challenge for some of you folks out there. With the high water that hit Lake Champlain this year there has been a whole lot of suspended material which has kept the lake fairly dirty. The amount of debris has been great for filter feeding organisms though... so there have been tons and tons of these things kicking around in sizes that I rarely see:
Big gelatinous blob in the water....
  Okay, so I know what they are but do you?  Let's hear your answers....

I'm waiting to hear from all you brainiacs out there....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment