Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pesky Little Suckers

When I was out guiding the other day with my client John, I spotted some circular depressions in the streambed in faster water. I knew immediately what they were so I started looking around for the culprits. It did not take long for me to find them- sea lamprey (Pteromyzon marinus). I pointed them out to John then proceeded to catch one for him to see. He then insisted on getting video of me doing it again. I also thought it would be cool to get some underwater video of them spawning. 

As damaging as these fish can be to game fish populations, they do have a very cool life cycle and I am fascinated by them. One of these days I will write about them more in depth. But for now enjoy the videos I have of these pesky little suckers!
 
DP
 

1 comment: